Sunbox Ambassador Learnership Program
Sunshine Cinema is Africa’s first solar-powered cinema network. We capacitate youth from rural & peri-urban areas. The selected Sunbox Ambassadors (SBAS) are trained in media facilitation, digital marketing, and host screenings of African films in their communities. SBAS attend a boot-camp where they are trained in basic photo, video production, and audience facilitation techniques.
We are recruiting for 20 x South African Sunbox Ambassadors for a 9-month full-time learnership program starting in March 2021, in the following areas:
(There will be 2 Ambassadors selected per area because they will share the Sunbox Equipment, candidates may apply as pairs but need to submit individual applications)
- Northern Cape
- Free State
- North West
- Gauteng (excluding Johannesburg)
- Kwa-Zulu Natal (excluding Durban)
- Eastern Cape
- Western Cape (excluding Cape Town)
With only 20 available spaces, this is a competitive programme.
The ideal candidate:
- is committed to 9 full months of the programme, with self-discipline to work at home
- Enjoys a good challenge and is ready for hard work
- Is looking to learn new skills
- Is able to make deadlines (missed deadlines will result in termination of the learnership)
- Is able to access stable & reliable internet
What will I learn?
In 2021 we are enhancing our model to increase impact and grow the skills of unemployed youth in three ways:
- All selected SBAs will receive scholarships to attend an online 6 month Impact Facilitator Course run by Sunshine Cinema and leading industry professionals. On successful completion of the course SBAs will receive an NQF5 qualification, and be linked to potential internship opportunities in the Film , Media and Marketing Industries.
- All selected SBAS will receive digital media and marketing training focusing on video, photo, podcast, and social media skills. All selected SBAs will host 2 free film screenings per month in their communities if COVID restrictions allow on Sunshine Cinema’s Sunbox solar powered mobile cinemas, of a wide range of award winning African fiction and documentary films over the course of 9 months. SBAS will also learn how to produce podcasts with community members about key local issues to be placed on a zero rated data free platform.
- All selected SBAS will receive entrepreneurial training & guidance in the form of a 6 month learning by doing course (with virtual classrooms and workbooks) and 6 months of Mentorship support (one session per month)
- 9 Months use of a Sunbox & and it’s equipment shared with one other Sunbox Ambassador in the same region.
- 9 months stipend to cover data, airtime, transport, and screening costs and participation in online course (if R1000 in gig work is secured per month per SBA)
- On successful completion of program , Ambassadors will receive start up Equipment for their Digital Marketing work (Laptop, Camera, Hard-Drive)
Learn by Doing Approach: By undertaking a “learn by doing” entrepreneurial training, the SBAs will be enabled to practice the skills and earn additional income while being part of the Ambassadorship program. Using the solar cinema kits and laptops provided for the learnership, SBAs will put to practice their digital media and marketing training to secure gig work. SBAs will be required to secure gig work (freelance digital marketing, media production work) in their communities of up to R1000 a month. This amount will trigger their monthly stipend from Sunshine Cinema.
- 21- 35 years old
- Matric Qualification
- Computer Proficiency in MS Office, particularly Word and Excel.
- Track record of experience in community mobilization and two contactable work & character references.
- Own a smartphone with recording, video, photo capabilities and access to Whatsapp.
- Available for a 9 month full time learnership (part time is not an option)
- Duties will include: Successful completion of online NQF5 accredited Impact facilitator Course, Digital Marketing and Entrepreneurship Training. Weekly Whatsapp check ins with Sunshine Cinema. Monthly Screening Calendar planning. Organising 2 free film screenings per month. Advertising events with community members. Creating a post screening discussion with audiences to #SparkConversation. (training to be provided for all of the above if selected)
- All Ambassadors will attend a training bootcamp in Mid March (travel, food & accommodation to be provided by Sunshine Cinema)
- All Ambassadors will be required to sign a contract of commitment at the start of the learnership. There is a three month probation period, and unsatisfactory performance will result in termination of the learnership
- Ambassadors will be paid a monthly internship stipend – if their performance is satisfactory and they successfully unlock R1000 worth of digital marketing gig work per month. Stipend covers airtime/data/transport expenses related to the learnership. Valid Bank Account required.
- Learnership is offered as a scholarship to 20 selected Sunbox Ambassadors, minimal enrolment fee will be required as a deposit on the use of the equipment for the 9 month period.
- Proficiency in English (written and oral), and one or two vernacular local languages of the area where they will be screening is required.
- Proof of Address, copy of valid South African ID and certified Matric qualification must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and google form must be completed below by 5pm on February 11th 2021.
Applications are now closed. Next round of applications will open in January 2022.